Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pockets of Fun


Today after our morning of therapies, the kids were bored. First we did shaving cream on the table, but that didn't last too long. The dog got to eat most of it that was splattered onto the floor by my energetic children. 
Ben went onto my Pinterest account and looked up fun crafts I had logged for just such a boring day. He decided we should make sock bubbles. It was a blast! And super easy. We added food coloring to the bubbles, which looked pretty but was permanently messy. And it made Ella's feet change all colors of the rainbow. We called her "Christmas Feet" for the rest of the day. 

Little Miss Christmas Feet
When I talk to my kids and really want them to pay attention, I preface what I'm about to say with "Look at Mommy." I say "Look at Mommy" a lot. Last night I was trying to talk to Alex, and the kids were being crazy. The house was loud and Alex was distracted. In the middle of all the chaos, I was exasperated because I was trying to get Alex's attention, so without thinking, out of my mouth came "Alex, look at Mommy!" I laughed so hard. It just tickled my funny bone. 

 Ben and Jonah had their 11 year checkups at our pediatrician today. They were supposed to get shots, so on the way to the doctor we were talking about what to expect. Aidan asked if they were getting "fruit loop shots." Jonah laughed and said "No, you mean the FLU shot." Sometimes having a challenge with word retrieval is hilarious.
Where did those bubbles go?





 Today I was talking to a friend of mine and she said her family had had "pockets of fun" on a recent trip. I love that! That completely describes family life, I think. At least our family life. We have pockets of fun that punctuate the difficult times we frequently face. It makes you cherish those pockets even more because sometimes they feel pretty infrequent. It's like being on a diet but you're allowed one dessert a day. That dessert tastes pretty awesome, and you savor every bite. I savor every pocket of fun with my kids, because sometimes they're too fleeting.
 Today we had several pockets of fun. My pockets are full enough tonight to carry me into whatever we'll face tomorrow.

No comments: